Naming style camel, snake,kebab, pascal cases tutorial example
programming Case name styles
The string is a group of characters that contains word(s). A sentence is a group of strings or words
In programming languages, there are different types of strings cases styles available
There are various case styles for combing words to declare variables or functions or URLs in programming languages, This will be used as conventional notations only.
All programming languages do not follow all cases.
For example, Camel Cases in java are used for declaring variable names, kebab cases are used in lisp language for defining variable names.
We are going to discuss different case strings.
Following are different cases name styles notations available in various programming languages.
|hyphen, dash or caterpillar or lisp or CSS case
|FULL CAPS CASE or Train case
Camel case conventional naming
camel case also abbreviated as camelCase or camel caps
- the first character of each word in upper case.
- In programming languages, variables are declared with camel case where the first character of each word is Uppercase except the first word.
- That means each string starts in lowercase.
- came cases can be FullName or firstName
- Important points
- spaces and punctuation in strings are not accepted
- These are conventional notations that only do not have syntax effects.
- used in declaring variables or member variables for an object in object programming languages like java
- underscore not accepted
valid camel cases examples are ZipCode, lastName.
Invalid examples are zip code, full_name, and phone number.
snake case strings conventional names
These are compound words, each word is separated by underscore symbols
hello_world is a snake case string example.
Important points about snake case sentences
- Each word is separated by an underscore
- spaces and punctuation are not allowed
- these are used in declaring variables and method names in some programming languages
- starting letter of each word is either lower or uppercase.
- Convention notation is to use starting letters in lowercase.
valid snake case examples are first_name and last_name, Full_name
invalid snake case examples are “first name”, “employee, salary”
Kebab or Hyphen case conventional names
Also called hyphen case or dash case, which is used to join the string of words with hyphen symbols, where all the words are in lower case.
- each word in a component sentence is separated by hyphen (-) symbols
- All the words are in lowercase only
- These will be used in declaring variables in the Lisp programming language and also defining URLs with this conventional notation in SEO.
valid names are naming-style-case-example
Invalid names are first_name