REST API examples
REST is one of popular webservice in software world. REST is abbrvated as Representational State Transfer. REST API used to develop http based webservices
REST is similar to SOAP webservices, SOAP webservices can be accessed using object and methods, where as REST can be accesed using URL with http operations like GET,POST,DELETE,PUT.
REST API is used to write the API's for web applications to access the services.
REST API is protocal, can be developed and consumed in many languages like java, .net
REST API is simple to develop and simple to access the resources and each URI in REST webservice is accessing object methods in java world. each webservie is an asset to the organization
Usually there are different uses that deat with REST API's.
1. Producer :- users create a RESTfull service and host this services and expose this service to outside world with url www.myorg.com/service/get. This can be developed in any language
2. Consumer :- Consumer is actual user who access the REST webservice. users code in any language to consume the webservice by http communication
When we are developing any REST based API
Advantages of REST API:-
1. Can be easly deveop in any language on any platform
2. Easy to develop webservices
3 Easy to learn
4. Each web URI point to java method, so no other layers
5. Design and develop and consume is platform independent
Disadvantages of REST API
1. Not be usable for complex message distributed systems.
2. security mechanism has to be implemented on own, no standard protocal for security
3. Used only for HTTP based communication
Please click like if you like this post